Post A Student Position

2017 Student Biweekly Timesheet

How To Post A Position

  1. Download and complete the Student Job Posting Description Form.
  2. Use the Student Assistant Classification Guide to aid you in determining the proper Student Assistant Classification.
  3. Email the completed Job Posting Description Form to your unit's MSO for their electronic signature.
  4. Email both signed forms to the Center for Career & Professional Advancement at

*If you are using Microsoft Office 2007, you must upload a compatibility patch to upload documents into the Cat PAWS system. To download the patch, please click Here

Reviewing & Interviewing Applicants

  • Review your applicants by visiting the PAWS System at . Use your UC Merced username and password to log in.
  • Give students who have been awarded "Work Study" priority in hiring. A list of students who have been awarded "Work Study" can be found on DocuShare.
  • Review the student_employment_policies_and_procedures.doc for recommendations on how many applicants to interview and types of interview questions to ask each applicant.
  • Contact the applicants you wish to interview by clicking their email addresses as listed on their applications.

Establishing A New Employee

  • Meet with the new student employee prior to his or her first day of work.  During the meeting both you and the new student employee are rquired to sign the Job Description form.
  • Have the student report to Phyllis Enea with the signed Job Description form.  They must have the necessary original documents to complete the I-9 Form and fill out hiring paperwork.
  • Upon completion of all the necessary documents, the hiring manager will receive an e-mail stating that the student employee is able to begin work.

Please Note: The Center for Career & Professional Advancement office will send the new student employee's hiring paper work to the Parcade Building for the processing units to enter the data into the Personnel/Payroll Systems (PPS). Therefore, it takes 3-5 business days for the hiring process to be completed for the new student employee to have access to At Your Service Online (AYSO) and Time Reporting System (TRS) or Payroll Time Reporting (PTR) as applicable.
Please contact Central Payroll Services at for AYSO, TRS, or PTR login assistance. Central Payroll Services is located at the Mondo Building, but is available for in-person assistance every Friday at the Kolligan Library in room 201.

Helpful Documents