Why Apply to Graduate or Professional School?
There are some reasons why students apply to graduate or professional school:
- They may need a graduate degree or additional license to work in a particular profession.
- May increase employability in their field of choice.
- They may simply enjoy learning!
Examine your reasons and motives carefully! Seek the help of a Career Specialist if you need help deciding whether or not graduate school is the best option for you! Here are some resources we love to help get you started!
- Graduate School Guide from GoGrad
- Pre-Law Guide from PrepScholar
- Exploring Health Professions from UC Merced's pre-health advising
Researching and selecting graduate or professional schools can be an all-consuming process. Which and how many schools you apply to will depend on a number of factors such as accreditation, geographic location, program uniqueness, or research compatibility.
Typically, you need the following to apply to graduate or professional school:
- Application Fee
- Undergraduate Degree
- GPA/Official Transcript(s)
- Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Admissions Test Score (see details below)
Admissions Test Score
Confirm which admission test is required with each program you apply:
Statement of Purpose
The statement of purpose, which is also commonly referred to as the personal statement, is a written piece that may encompass the applicant's aspirations, career goals, educational background, personal experiences, research, and so on.
Still have burning questions?
For more details about writing your statement of purpose and what to include, please contact the Student Career Center at email@example.com